3rd May 2012
Technicolor-Certified ProTune Mode Adds 24p, 35Mbps Data Rate; Non-Destructive 3D LUT and Color Presets to Greatly Enable Professional Production Workflow
GoPro announced at the NAB 2012 Show in Las Vegas they have worked to embed Technicolor’s CineStyle™ colour profile for the debut of the new GoPro Protune™ (a free firmware upgrade available for the HD HERO2 camera, available this summer).
Certified by Technicolor, and developed by GoPro, the Protune mode firmware upgrade is a significant development for the professional production and post-production market, which incorporates Technicolor colour science into GoPro’s latest product launch. These new features combine to allow professional filmmakers a vastly improved and flexible workflow for seamless integration with other source material and post-production platforms.
Key features of the GoPro Protune mode include:
- 24fps frame rate, enabling GoPro HERO2 content to be easily intercut with other sources without a frame rate conversion;
- 35Mbps data rate for the industry’s highest quality compressed image with virtually zero artifacts;
- Neutral colour profile, allowing for greater flexibility in a colour correction workflow;
- Log curve encoding, offering more detail in shadows and highlights;
- Reduced sharpening and noise reduction for improved flexibility in professional post- production and colour design workflows.
Seamless Integration with GoPro CineForm Studio -
GoPro Protune mode makes integration with GoPro CineForm Studio simple, automatically detecting Protune settings and applying the default adjustments to create stunning images. The workflow is further enhanced by a variety of colour tuning presets, or ‘looks’ that further enhance the filmmakers’ story.
Using Protune with GoPro CineForm Studio Premium and GoPro CineForm Studio Professional provides additional benefits, offering extensive colour correction controls and customizable presets to create professional, cinematic looks from the GoPro HERO2 captured content. Non-destructive 3D LUTs provide even more flexibility, enabling users to further tweak their images, manipulate saturation and contrast and colour correction controls to create highly stylized content.
GoPro Protune mode is available as a free firmware upgrade through the GoPro CineForm Studio software, which is also available as a free download here.